It's been awhile since I have a completed project to share. Lately I have been a little scatter-brained and have about 3 to 4 things started but just can't seem to get one done!
So this week I focused on a storage trunk that I got off Craig's List a little while back. It was in good shape, just needing a paint update.
My original plan was to paint it with blues and grays but when I started to sand it I quickly found out that it just wasn't going to happen. Whatever the top coat of white paint that was on this piece was not coming off easily. I applied stripper to help remove the white and underneath the white was an red/orange color of paint.
This is what it looked like after stripping most of the white and light sanding again.
When I worked on the top piece it had a yellow paint under the white.
I liked the old look that the stripping and sanding gave it so I decided to just go with the colors that were already there. So I added a coat of Min-Wax Provincial stain to the painted areas wiping off after about 5 minutes.
The stain darkened the red/orange paint and gave the truck another layer of color where there was unpainted wood. The corners before and after stained.
The inside of the truck was unfinished wood so I just stained it.
I re-used the hinges but removing the paint and they will rust naturally over time.
I applied Poly- Acrylic to the top and painted areas to protect the finish.
Even though I didn't complete the trunk with the original colors I wanted, I love the finished piece.
The inside stayed a little rough with previous paint drips.
I did purchase a dresser along with this truck. It has the same white paint finish. I'll be working on it soon and can't wait to see the colors it has underneath. Hopefully there won't be to many layers to remove!
Thanks for stopping by.
Have a great weekend!!