This weekend I did a little table project created from a wine crate that I bought at a garage sale for $3.00. Yes I wish there were more because they make great storage containers and also can be used in many different projects.
I started by carefully removing the bottom of the crate which was just stapled on by six staples on each side. This now became the top of the table and crate was still right side up. I hammered the top/bottom back on using small finishing nails in the same holes left by the staples.
I did sand the legs pretty well to remove most of the black and to let some of the white and the wood to show through. I think they came out pretty awesome.
After stain was try the legs were attached with screws and polyurethane was applied to the top only. This was a simple project that anyone can do. It only took me Sunday to complete and most of that time was of course waiting on paint and stain to dry. This was my first attempt at a piece of furniture but I think it came out awesome.